Thursday 29 May 2014

Post Ride Commentary

Well we've been back for 5 days now and it seems strange not riding everyday. My bike arrived back from JOG this morning and the rest of my luggage came this afternoon (thanks Jane). I've had a day off work as I'm working at the weekend, so I've been busy sorting out my kit and my bike.

 After re-assembling the bike it was given a good clean and treated to new wheels, cassette and chain and pedals. I also fitted a Brookes B17 saddle which I bought s/hand before we went but didn't have time to break in.
 While cleaning the bike I noticed the middle chainring was missing a tooth, presumably its lying on the road somewhere along our route. Anyway a new chainring is also on order. I also managed a short ride this evening to check everything was back in order (for me and my bike).
If your reading this and contemplating doing LeJog or any similar ride yourself there are lots of Blogs and sites out there which give tips and advice and are well worth reading but I thought I would add a few of my own:

1. The more miles and distance you cover in training the easier the trip will be.
2. Train in all conditions to test your kit and acclimatise yourself.
3. If you plan to use a GPS on the trip use it during your training and learn to use all its features including the mapping and routing options.
4. B&Bs will often do washing for you but it may be a communal wash so either mark your kit or make a list of what you have. If you put a Peak Tours top in a communal wash you probably won't get the same one back again.
5. Eat plenty, especially at breakfast, consider additional food breaks between the official stops on long legs. Five miles to a lunch or brew stop may not seem far, but your sugar levels can drop quickly and then you start making mistakes and navigational errors.
6. Sealzkin socks are great for keeping your feet dry in wet cycling shoes, consider taking 2 pairs.
7. On a supported tour put as much extra dry kit and layers in your day bag as you can. You're not carrying it so the extra weight doesn't matter. If you don't need it you've lost nothing, but if you're cold and wet, being able to add an extra layer or two the last leg of the ride could make all the difference.
8. B&Bs often leave several small packets of biscuits on the coffee tray in your room. These are an ideal size for slipping in jersey pockets and are a convenient and tasty snack for those mid point breaks (see 5).
9. B&B hair driers can be used to dry out wet cycling shoes, gloves and other kit.
10. Read as many blogs and web sites as you can for hints and tips.

Overall enjoy yourself. Cycling, whether End to End or any other ride, is a great sport and an ideal way of seeing towns and the countryside.

The 14 days we spent riding from one end of the country to the other was a truly fantastic experience, we cycled through different places and landscapes each day in the company of a great group of people and finished our ride with a real sense of achievement.

What we'll do next I'm not sure? I'd like to go back to Normandy in 2015 but a Coast to Coast also sounds interesting, either would be great but we'll be hard pushed to top LeJog as a life experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment